03 Jun Falling in love with Winter
Stepping into the throes of winter, I feel my mind, body and spirit sink into the cold embrace of the winter months in the Southern Hemisphere.
I grew up in Bangalore. Used to be known as the Garden City of India, famous for its pleasant weather conditions, all year round. So the aversion to the cold is usually strong and intense.
My heart would slam shut as the autumn seasons brought a looming sense of doom to my warmth-loving self. Panic creeping in as the long dark night’s ushered in the familiarity of the unknown, nudging me to acknowledge its existence. My mind racing a million miles an hour hungrily searching for ways to combat the sense of isolation, fear of loneliness and the doom gloom stories that I had grown accustomed to against my uphill battle with the cold.
The struggle, real.
The resistance, strong.
A WINTER STORY
Walking along the river on a cold winter’s day, the wind kissing my face, my teeth chattering away and my eyes barely registering what is ahead of me from the fog, I listened to nature whisper a little story about winter.
A long time ago, when Winter was seeking approval for its existence, the Gods asked, ‘And what do you have to offer, dear Winter?’
With a fear of rejection in her eyes, Winter mumbled
‘I know I am the least loved in my family (of seasons).
I bring destruction to life as you know it.
I make the warm smiles on beautiful happy faces turn into grumpy complaints.
I stir up intense fear of the unknown, bringing darkness, where ever I go.
Not many look forward to my visits. And most try to get away from me.
But I stand in your presence today, as I believe I can offer, what no other season can.
One of deep surrender, wisdom and transformation:
– I create space in the dark, for outdated versions of self that need to die, to bring forth the birth of a new perspective on life
– I hold tenderly, the experience of loss that wishes to breathe into my heart without any resistance so that a deeper sense of identity, purpose and belonging can be revealed
– I gently allow subtle energies of the divine life-force to touch the soul to enhance the presence of oneness
I am the womb of darkness that can create a sacred space for the Phoenix within to rise from the ashes.
The Gods beamed with pride.
‘Dear Winter’, they rejoiced.
‘ONLY THROUGH YOU DOES DARKNESS HAVE THE CAPACITY TO ALLOW THE POWER AND WISDOM OF CREATION TO BE BIRTHED.
Our universe is lifeless without your presence.’
Winter smiled, humbly bowed before the Gods and gracefully accepted her rightful place in the universe.
COPING WITH THE TRANSITION
As I find myself finally surrender to the wisdom of winter, I recognize that she is the true embodiment of all the feminine aspects of our being.
Stillness, silence, darkness, patience, grace, softness, warmth, nurture, nourishment, care, love, intimacy and vulnerability – everything that is a representation of the feminine energy, irrespective of whether we find ourselves in a male or female body.
If you find yourself resisting Winter, I invite you to:
- Allow the long nights to be an invitation to connect with the deep stillness that is always present within you.
- Connect to the womb space that winter provides and discover new ways in which you can bring more nourishment, healing and gentleness into your life.
- When you feel the cold, may it be a reminder to access the emotional warmth that wishes to embrace you through love, intimacy, inspiration and care.
- Engage in experiences that help slow your nervous system down, to match the natural rhythm of winter i.e. rest, sleep, yoga, nature walks, writing, painting etc. Less resistance and more surrender.
My wish for you
May the winter months ease your beautiful heart and mind enough to nurture your soul’s need so that when it is time, it can spring open to life inviting the warmer months to burst with the energy of creation.
As a transition mentor, much of my teachings are based on my dedicated awakening to awareness itself and building on my intuitive skills through my life experiences. But I also strongly believe in the integration of the logical mind and the intuitive heart, so you will find some of my professional qualifications a delightful blend of both.